Private Family Law, Civil Litigation & Probate
David Kirkman qualified as a solicitor in 2013 and worked in Yorkshire before he moved to Abergavenny in 2019.
David deals with all aspects of private family law, civil litigation and probate. He considers it a privilege to help clients with some of the most important things in their lives during what are often very difficult times for them.
Family law (including divorce, finances and children)
David’s work is particularly focused on achieving the best outcome for individuals and their families dealing with arrangements for their children or sorting out finances.
- David advises clients at the beginning of their relationships, preparing both pre-nuptial and cohabitation agreements.
- Where a relationship has broken down, David represents clients seeking a financial settlement, whether in or out of court. Past cases have involved business assets, high incomes, substantial pensions and multiple properties. He has also acted for third parties affected by financial proceedings on divorce.
- David helps parents resolve disputes about the arrangements for their children. He has experience of dealing with urgent applications to protect children at risk, cases with an international element and cases involving substance misuse, domestic abuse or child abuse.
David has developed a breadth of experience in inheritance disputes, including:
- Claims by husbands, wives, partners and children where reasonable financial provision has not been made for them under the will or laws of intestacy (i.e. claims under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975).
- Disputes about the validity of wills, including disputes about testamentary capacity and undue influence.
- Disputes between family members about the proper administration of the estate by the executors.
- Issues for insolvent estates.
General civil disputes
David also has experience of resolving a wide range of civil disputes, through negotiations, mediation, and litigation including:
- disputes with neighbours about boundaries and rights of way;
- trusts and proprietary estoppel;
- claims between shareholders in a limited company; and
- debt recovery.
Administration of estates
David is also able to help clients where a loved one has died, and they need help getting grant of probate and dealing with the administration of the estate.